Your Subaru Forester has been your friend for quite a long time. It has been a part of your journey, packing numerous memories with you. All it asks in return is some care and maintenance.
After a certain point in its journey, you will notice that it needs new spark plugs. The moment you see these signs, you should start looking for a replacement. Any delay could cause problems in the engine. Indeed, these small spark plugs are much more important than they seem!
Now, the question arises – which choice to make? Which spark plugs should you choose for your buddy? Well, you could go with the actual OEM spark plugs, which are from NGK or you could choose any other replacement spark plugs that fit your vehicle. To ease your choice and to make this a simple process, we have brought our list of our favorites to you. Read on to explore:
Best spark plugs for Subaru Forester
1. NGK Laser Iridium Spark Plug – SILZKARB11
These are the actual spark plugs you will find in your Subaru. They will easily fit any model manufactured from 2013 to 2017. So, if your vehicle falls into these requirements, you should buy this spark plug without a second thought. Below are a few things you should know about it:
- It has an iridium center that’s laser-welded. It also has an electrode tip. These two together make it a highly durable spark plug that can provide higher spark than other plugs.
- On the backside, you will see a platinum disc that ensures longevity.
- Its insulator nose is longer than average and it works to prevent fouling. You also don’t have to worry about flashover, thanks to its corrugated ribs.
- The spark plug will give you better acceleration and quick starts.
- You can also expect better fuel economy, anti-seizing, and anti-corrosion properties.
- Lower emissions
- Perfect OEM replacement
2. NGK G-Power Spark Plug – BKR6EGP
These spark plugs are for older Subaru Forester models. Make sure you check them out if your Subaru is a 2000-2003 model. They also fit other Subaru cars such as the Outback and Legacy. Below are a few details that you should know:
- This is a platinum spark plug with a center electrode.
- The core material is copper while the tip is made out of platinum.
- The spark plugs come pre-gapped at 0.040.
- It has anti-seize properties.
- They can improve acceleration and overall performance of the vehicle.
- Great price
- Work as expected
- The gap may need adjusting for some models. Make sure you check and adjust before installation.
3. NGK Power Spark Plug – 2756 BKR6E-11
Yes, here’s another one from NGK because for Subaru Forester, NGK is the best supplier of spark plugs. Let’s see why these are ideal for you:
- These are laser platinum spark plugs.
- The spark plugs have trivalent metal plating that promises anti-seizing and anti-corrosion. These are both very important for longevity.
- They are durable spark plugs that can with stand chemical wear as well as electrical wear.
- The plugs are known to reduce emissions and boost performance.
- Once you install these spark plugs, you will see that the engine is running smoother and quieter.
- Work well and improve performance
- Fit perfectly
- Slightly expensive for just 1 spark plug
4. Autolite Iridium XP Spark Plug
If you are looking for something other than NGK, this set of 4 spark plugs from Autolite may be your answer. And what’s more, they fit many models of Subaru Forester perfectly! Take a closer look now!
- They are iridium-enhanced platinum spark plugs with a 0.6mm center electrode. They are known for excellent ignitability.
- The side wire technology (patented V-trimmed platinum) increases its durability and life by resisting regular wear and tear.
- They are designed with no gap erosion for resilience over a period of time.
- Each spark plug also has a terminal nut and a motor seat gasket.
- They come pre-gapped so that you don’t have to worry about doing it yourself.
- Fits perfectly
- Focused ignition
- A few users have reported misfires
5. Denso Platinum TT Spark Plug
Denso cannot stay behind in the race of spark plugs. It is considered as good as NGK and Autolite, and, in many cases, even better! Here’s why you should purchase this set:
- The spark plugs have a TT twin-tip design made of platinum and 360-degree welding. These two combined improve the efficiency of the engine and enable better ignition.
- The twin-tip design also has a firing pad with a minimum-quench feature of the electrode. Together, they work to give you better fuel economy and lower emissions.
- The spark plugs are known to resist corrosion even in extreme situations.
- They require low firing voltage. You also don’t have to worry about misfires.
- Other features include faster starts, better mileage, minimal gap growth, less erosion, and more power.
- Highly reliable
- Platinum-titanium design
These are truly the best spark plugs on the market at the moment. Choose any of them and your Subaru will thank you!
Keep reading to find the answers to a few FAQs.
When should I change my Subaru spark plugs?
Subaru suggests that you replace your spark plugs at 60,000 miles first. After that, you should do it every 30,000 miles. In between, if you see any signs of worn out spark plugs, you should get them checked and replaced.
Which are better – iridium or platinum spark plugs?
Iridium spark plugs take away the cake. They are said to be more durable and long-lasting.
Do better spark plugs increase horsepower?
Yes, they can. But it won’t be more than a 2% increase in most cases.
How do I know if my spark plug needs changing?
You will see a few signs such as:
- Frequent engine misfires
- Loud engine
- Starting problems
- Acceleration problems
- Rough idle
- Poor economy
We tried to collate everything you needed to know about spark plugs for Subaru Forester. We hope we did a fine job. If there are still doubts, please reach out. We are always here to help.