Cars are fascinating, fun, and simply amazing! Something as grand as a BMW will turn heads and widen eyes no matter where it may be. But, there’s more to cars than just style. They are highly functional and useful. In fact, not many of us can imagine lives without handling the stick. So, how do you ensure that something is just as practical as it is attractive?
You take good care of it so that it keeps performing well.
It is at this point that you may want to think about spark plugs – small and powerful tools that can make or break your fancy BMW experience.
Why are Spark Plugs So Important?
Spark plugs are electric devices that are used in internal combustion engines. They are responsible for generating the spark that ignites the gasoline and makes the engine jump to life. This means that without a properly functioning set of spark plugs, you will have starting problems, misfires, mileage issues, etc.
There are various types of spark plugs to choose from based on requirements. The popular ones are:
- Copper plugs
- Single platinum plugs
- Double platinum plugs
- Iridium plugs
Iridium plugs are considered the most efficient because they use less voltage and do not waste sparks. However, depending on what you are looking for, you may go for other types of spark plugs as well.
Best Spark Plugs For BMW
We shall now take you through some of the best spark plugs for BMW available on the market today.
1. BMW Spark Plugs – NGK OEM 3199
Of course, we shall start with something popular that has managed to get an amazing response – NGK spark plugs for BMW! Here’s why you should jump onto the bandwagon too.
- These are laser platinum spark plugs, available in sets of 6 pieces.
- They are pre-gapped, which means that you can directly install them.
- The spark plugs are direct factory replacements.
- Once you install them, you will experience an upgrade in power and smoothness of the vehicle.
- The plugs’ 4-prong design makes them highly reliable and top-performing.
2. BMW Spark Plugs – Bosch OEM 158253
Bosch is another leader when it comes to quality spark plugs for BMWs. The company has always manufactured reliable parts that are direct factory replacements and come with good features. Let’s take a closer look at these particular spark plugs:
- They are platinum spark plugs, which promise better performance and faster starts.
- The spark plugs come pre-gapped. However, we advise that you check the gap before installing them just to be sure.
- Installation is quite straight forward because they are customized to BMW requirements. Make sure you replace them only with OEM 158253 parts.
- You will experience fewer misfires and better mileage with these plugs.
- Since these are double platinum spark plugs, you can expect them to last for a long time with no problems.
3. Spark Plugs – NGK Double Platinum OEM Upgrade
Designed specifically for BMW E39, E46, and M54, these NGK spark plugs are built to perfection. They come with great reliability, making them a good choice for compatible brands. Let’s learn more about them.
- These are OEM spark plugs, which means you will have no problems with them during installation. You just have to ensure compatibility.
- The moment you install these, you will notice an improvement in the vehicle’s drivability.
- They are fairly priced and come pre-gapped, which means that you don’t have to worry about doing it yourself.
- They are highly reliable and will definitely last a few thousand miles without problems, provided you take good care of your vehicle.
4. BMW Spark Plugs Set – High Power Genuine 37244
If better power and performance are your main requirements, you will be very happy with this particular set of spark plugs. Here’s why:
- These have been designed to be high performance plugs that focus on giving the vehicle more power.
- You will also see a significant improvement in the mileage and idling.
- Many users have also said that starts are faster and the spark is much better.
- These platinum spark plugs fit perfectly and come pre-gapped.
5. BMW Spark Plugs – Bosch High Power OEM 12122158253
Here’s another entry from Bosch and trust us, it is a good one! Bosch is a leading manufacturer of spark plugs for BMWs and this set is one of their best.
- They are exact factory replacement plugs, which means there’s no installation hassle whatsoever.
- They come pre-gapped.
- These are double platinum spark plugs that improve power and performance.
- Starts are faster and the ignitability is incredible.
- Rough starts will also be taken care of by these spark plugs.
People Also Ask
We shall conclude this article with a few FAQs.
1) What spark plugs does BMW recommend?
NGK and Bosch are the most highly recommended spark plugs for BMW.
2) Which spark plugs are best for performance?
NGK iridium plugs are said to provide the highest level of performance.
3) Does BMW use NGK spark plugs?
4) When should I change my BMW spark plugs?
It is recommended that you change them once every 60,000 miles. If you have an older model, you may have to change them sooner (around 37,000 miles).
5) Are BMW spark plugs pre-gapped?
Yes, they are.
In order to make the most out of your BMW, you must take good care of it and change the spark plugs when necessary. We hope our guide helps you find the right set. If you are confused or have any questions, kindly reach out to us.