Riding a Harley Davidson is an experience that cannot be put in words. It is an out-of-the-world feeling.
But, if the spark plugs are worn out, you will be forced into reality quite harshly. The ride won’t feel so heavenly anymore. Spark plugs may be tiny when compared to the bike, but their impact on the ride quality is huge. They are responsible for everything that makes your bike a Harley Davidson, and this includes the performance, the combustion, and the sound.
The focus of our article is on guiding you to choose the right spark plugs and giving you information about the best ones available on the market for Harley Davidson.
How to buy the best spark plugs for Harley Davidson
The spark plugs’ material is the number one factor that you should consider. Copper has been the best choice for a long time, but iridium is also gaining popularity. Many experts lean towards iridium spark plugs because the size of the electrode, in this case, is small and requires less voltage. This directly helps increase the life of the spark plugs. This is why we advise the same. Iridium is an excellent choice.
There’s another factor here that many people tend to skip. It’s the pre-set gaps. Buying spark plugs with pre-set gaps that fit your vehicle will save effort and time. It also reduces the risk of complications. All you have to do is to ensure that the gap is the same as standard plugs. Any reliable brand takes care of this, but checking beforehand is always recommended.
When should you replace the spark plugs
If the performance of your bike has gone down significantly or if you are having engine problems, you should get your bike checked. If spark plugs are the problem, you should replace them immediately. Otherwise, the thumb rule is that they need to be changed once every 15,000 miles.
Best Spark Plugs for Harley Davidson
And now for the fun part. Let’s explore the best options in 2020.
1. NGK Iridium Spark Plugs – DCPR7EIX
NGK is a leader in spark plugs, and its iridium variations for 1999C to 2016 Harley Davidsons is a proof of why it is so popular. The spark plugs have all the features you would expect from a winner. Below is a peek at a few:
- They are pre-gapped and come in sets of 2.
- The electrode’s diameter is ultra-small. This helps extend the life of the ignition system because it needs less voltage.
- The electrode, made with iridium, is around 25% smaller than its platinum counterparts. When compared to the nickel electrode, it is just 1/4th the size!
- The spark plugs have a metal shell plating that minimizes corrosion.
- Remember that these plugs are mainly for Harley Davidson vehicles, which require more gaps. They may not fit other vehicles.
- The only downside to these spark plugs is that they are slightly more expensive than the others. Users, however, have pointed out that their quality is excellent, and that justifies the price tag.
2. E3 Spark Plugs for Harley Davidson
Designed to impress, these spark plugs will take your heart away! They are designed to be tough and durable regardless of the conditions, making them an excellent choice. Here’s why you should buy them:
- The spark plugs can endure extreme conditions from hot to cold, enabling you to ride your bike with the utmost ease.
- They are made of nickel.
- They have a yttrium-enhanced alloy that functions to reduce the side wire temperature by 8%.
- They have been proven to increase power by 6 to 12%.
- Fuel efficiency will also see an enhancement with these plugs by at least 4%.
- You will see that they last dramatically longer than the standard plugs.
- The manufacturers offer a limited lifetime warranty.
3. Accel Spark Plugs – 2418
Accel Spark Plugs are high performing and known for their incredible throttle response. They are sold specifically for Harley Davidson vehicles from 1999 and up. A few of the most important features of these plugs are as follows:
- To ensure that you get more power at high RPM, the spark plugs give you more spark than usual.
- They improve fuel economy and performance without impacting the fouling. In fact, you can expect less fouling with these spark plugs!
- The ground electrode offers better combustion and a smoother idle than before.
- These spark plugs are only suitable for Twin Cam 1450/1450 CC models of Harley Davidson.
- These come in pairs.
4. NGK Spark Plugs for Harley Davidson
We cannot write a list of the best spark plugs for Harley Davidson without an Amazon’s Choice product! Here’s an NGK product that Amazon loves as much as we do. Read on to find out why:
- This is a pack of 1 spark plug made of iridium.
- The spark plug was made for superior performance and less fouling along with better throttle response and ignitability.
- The tip measures 0.6 mm and is laser-welded. It ensures stable sparks.
- Alongside this, you will find a tapered ground electrode that reduces the quenching effect.
- These spark plugs have a long insulator nose that ensures there’s no fouling.
- The triple gasket seal is responsible for the elimination of gas leakages.
- It is also anti-seizing and anti-corrosion thanks to its trivalent metal plating.
5. Champion Harley Davidson Spark Plug – 9701
This pack of 1 spark plug from Champion is a winner as well. Its properties make it a great buy for Harley Davidsons. Let’s see what those properties are:
- It has a fine-wire iridium electrode.
- The platinum ground increases performance and shelf life.
- The spark plug has a heat-active alloy that makes the electrodes reach the right temperature at a faster pace than the standard.
- The engine performance is sure to see a spike once you start using this spark plug.
- Regardless of the engine load, you can expect a stable operating temperature.
- You will need a 5/8 spark plug socket for this spark plug.
We hope we have made the choosing process easy for you with our list. All these spark plugs are proven leaders and have multiple happy users. However, the ultimate choice is up to you. Make sure you compare costs and the features before you choose. Also, remember that a few are only available as singles. If you buy those but need a pair, you will have to add 2 to your cart!
More doubts? Please feel free to comment.