Every vehicle has a few important parts without which it cannot be termed as a vehicle. The engine is, of course, the primary part. Which are the others?
We have often spoken about spark plugs and the crucial role they play. We know that without good spark plugs, we are bound to face multiple engine troubles including a complete engine failure. But, there’s something else that requires just as much attention and that is the spark plug wire.
What are spark plug wires?
Commonly referred to as ignition cables, spark plug wires work to transfer the spark to the plug from the coil. They are essential in cars that have a remote coil pack or a distributor. In the absence of these wires, you will not be able to transfer the spark and the engine will not start.
Best spark plug wires for Chevy 350
Simply learning about spark plug wires is not enough in today’s world. We need to learn about the various options available so that we purchase nothing short of the best. In this article, we will discuss which ones you should go for if you own a Chevy 350.
1. JDMSPEED Spark Plug Wire Set Replacement
These are high quality, aftermarket replacement sets for Chevy 350. They are a universal set for Chevy (SBC and BBC) engines but we advise that you check the fitment before purchasing them. Below are some of the features that make them stand out:
- The spark plug wires are made of copper.
- They are 10.5mm long, guaranteeing high performance.
- They have 90-degree boots on both the ends and provide electric ignition.
- The copper conductor is spirally wound and has high EMI suppression along with low resistance.
- The wires have been designed to provide high energy for excellent ignition.
- They are very easy to install. You can just take them out of the box and start using them immediately.
- Well-insulated and thick
- Direct replacement
- A few boots may require straightening with pliers
2. A-Team Performance – Silicone Spark Plug Wires
They are rightly named A-Team Performance Spark Plug Wires because they are known for their spectacular performance. These spark plug wires are available in black and red, and come with the following features:
- The wires have spiral-wound copper conductors that promise low resistance. They also ensure high EMI suspension.
- They have a 90-degree boot on each side for the spark plug and the distributor.
- Each spark plug wire has a silicone jacket that makes it resistant to heat.
- These wire use high dielectric strength insulators, high temperature boots, and braided glass to stay protected from abrasions and high heat.
- You get a one-year warranty on this product.
- Numbered clips
- Perfect fitment
- A few users have complained that the wires are too long or too short
3. Moroso Spark Plug Wires for Chevy 350
The Moroso ignition wire set has been fully tried and tested for dielectric strength, electric conductivity, and secure termination. It has multiple features that make it a good choice. Here are a few:
- The wires have silicone boots that are completely moisture resistant.
- They have snap-lock terminals, making them very safe to use.
- The core of the wires is latex coated and has heavy-duty fiberglass.
- On top, you will see a conductor made of stainless nickel alloy that has been spirally wound.
- They have an 8mm wire that’s long enough for most vehicles.
- The wire jacket is made of EPDM that works to provide high dielectric strength and protection against heat.
- Work as expected
- Thick and insulated
4. Chevy HEI Spark Plug Wire Set – 8mm
Another good option from Moroso, this particular spark plug wire set has been designed for Chevy 302, 283, 305, 307, 327, 350, and 400 models. If you have any of these vehicles, you won’t regret purchasing this set. Here’s why:
- They have an 8mm jacket and a spirally wound conductor.
- It is a complete kit that includes clips and boots for installation.
- The boot ends are designed to fit spark plugs and HEI distributors.
- They are very easy to install and do the job quite well.
- Quick installation
- Work as expected
- Not aesthetic because they have too much printing/advertisement
5. High Performance Spark Plug Wire Set for Chevy 350
This set of wires is from King Auto Parts. It is a universal option for Chevy engines – BBC and SBC. So, if you Chevy has an HEI distributor, you won’t go wrong with these wires. Let’s take a closer look:
- They are 8.5mm long and the outer layer is made of 100% pure silicone insulator.
- Both the ends of the wires have boots at 90 degrees to enable proper fitment.
- The wires have been designed to deliver the highest energy to the spark plug to make ignition stronger and quicker.
- They do not interfere with any electronics in the vehicle.
- They have a heavy glass braid and dielectric insulator that works to protect from damages and high heat.
- Work as advertised
- They may be too long for some applications. Some users have had to shorten them before installation.
People also ask
Now that you have an idea of what’s out there, it is a good idea to go through a few commonly asked questions. Let’s start:
1) Do high performance spark plug wires make a difference?
Yes, they do. High performance spark plugs help save fuel and ensure that the engine is running efficiently. Bad quality wires have the opposite effect.
2) What’s better – 7mm or 8mm spark plug wires?
A thick wire indicates a thick core. So, this may help more power with low resistance to reach the spark plug. This is why many people prefer 8mm spark plug wires.
3) What size spark plug wires should I use?
8.5mm and 8mm spark plug wires are the most popular today. This length is sufficient for most applications. However, if you have a street rod, you might consider shorter wires.
4) What happens if you put spark plug wires on wrong?
It could lead to dangerous consequences such as the fuel-and-air mixture catching fire.
5) What are the signs of a bad spark plug wire?
- Most often, the damage will be visible on the wires
- The Check Engine Light will turn ON
- You will notice poor fuel economy and acceleration problems
6) How often do spark plug wires need to be changed?
The rule of thumb is every 60,000 to 100,000 miles. If you see signs of wear and damage earlier, you should check and replace them immediately.
7) Can you change spark plugs without changing the wires?
Yes, you can. But, experts recommend that you don’t. The spark plug wires will be worn-out soon and you will have to change them separately, leading to more hassle.
We hope you now have a clear idea about the importance of spark plug wires and which ones to purchase. If you have any doubts, you can get in touch with us and we will be happy to guide you.
Meta description: Your search for the best spark plug wires for Chevy 350 ends here. We have a comprehensive list for you, complete with the pros and cons of each product. Click here now.