Dielectric grease is a moisture-repelling silicone-based grease. It is also popular as tune-up grease and has a number of applications such as lubricating spark wire plugs, rubber parts, etc. Its main purpose is to protect the surface from corrosion.
In simpler words, dielectric grease helps extend the life of your spark plugs, it is important to have one with you. The only thing to remember is that you shouldn’t use it on silicone-based plastics and rubbers. Since both of them are silicone-based, the effect can be negative. Also, keep the grease away from mating surfaces such as sockets because it is a bad conductor of electricity.
How to use Dielectric Grease on Spark Plugs
It’s quite easy to apply dielectric grease but you must be careful nevertheless. Take a little of it and apply it to the rubber boot. After this, spread it gently so that it covers the area. That’s about it.
When used correctly, dielectric grease will ensure that electricity does not get into the engine block. The grease will also work to slide the boot onto the insulator, enabling smooth function and a water-tight seal.
Spark Plug Grease
If you are searching for good products that you can trust for your spark plugs, you have come to the right place. Our experts have curated some products for you.
1. Versachem Dielectric Spark Plug Boot Grease – 15309
This is a 100% pure silicone grease with a high-temperature formula that does wonders to any spark plug boot. Why do we say so? Read on to find out:
- The dielectric grease facilitates the removal of boots from distributor caps and spark plugs.
- It is water-proof and non-flammable.
- It is completely resistant to corrosion.
- You can use the grease on electrical connections, headlight sockets, battery terminals, and spark plugs.
- This sensor-safe grease protects the spark plug boot from damage and wear & tear.
2. Permatex Dielectric Tune-up Grease – 22058
Permatex is a popular brand with a strong user base. When you go through the features of this product, you will know why.
- The grease protects wiring and electrical connections from corrosion, dirt, and salt.
- It also prevents voltage leaks very effectively, extending the life of items such as bulb sockets and spark plugs.
- It is an ideal choice for modern ignition systems that function on high energy.
- You can use it for all electrical connections, trailer hitches, and spark plug boots.
- A few users have successfully used it on their vehicles such as snowmobiles, scooters, and ATVs.
3. Spark Plug Boot Protector Dielectric Grease
This is a handy 4-gram pouch that you can carry with you and use when needed. It comes from the AGS Store and has a few good properties that you should know about:
- The grease has a high temperature formula made especially for spark plug boots.
- It mainly works to prevent the boots from sticking to distributor caps and the plugs. You will be very thankful about this when the time to remove the boots from the plugs comes.
- It also prevents arcing.
- The grease keeps moisture away and ensures that there’s no voltage leakage.
- It works well even in high temperatures.
4. Silicone Dielectric Compound – YOLOtek
The YOLOtek Silicone Dielectric Grease is available in tubes of 5 gm and 10 gm. It is a fine choice for various applications and its properties are as follows:
- It works to keep connections and wirings safe from dirt, air, corrosion, and salt.
- The grease is an ideal choice to protect spark plugs and electric connectors while lubricating them at the same time.
- The tube enables easy application. You can apply how much ever you need and then seal the tube for later use.
- This professional dielectric grease ensures that the spark plug boot is always clean and protected from elements.
- It spreads quite easily and lubricates for a long period of time.
5. Permatex Counterman’s Choice Spark Plug Boot Grease – 09980
Permatex has come up with another dielectric grease product that we love just as much as the previous one! This grease comes in a pouch and is very easy to apply. Let’s find out more:
- It is a single-use product that creates a barrier to prevent moisture from entering the boot.
- It also lubricates the boot and other electrical equipment so that it stays protected from corrosion, dirt, and salt.
- The pouch is quite convenient and has an easy squeeze spout that makes application easy.
- It also prevents voltage leaks and boot fusing.
- Its suggested applications include spark plug boots, battery terminals, trailer hitches, and marine electric connections.
Once you buy the right dielectric grease and apply it to your spark plugs boots, you will see a boost in overall performance. The fact that the grease lubricates, protects, and prevents corrosion makes it a must-have for every vehicle owner. This guide has been curated to save your time and ensure that you buy the best one. If there are any doubts, please leave a comment and we will revert at the earliest.